Thursday, March 3, 2016

Shelagh`s Easy Red Lentil Doldrum Defeating Dhal Soup!

Ha how's that for a title! Yesterday it started to rain and was very dreary and dark. I was hungry, cold, feeling low and wanted to brighten my day so I decided to use the warm colours and flavours of the East to perk myself up!  It had to be quick because I had work to do. This is what I came up with and it was really tasty :)

Shelagh's Easy Red Lentil Doldrum Defeating Dhal Soup!

Combine everything in a heavy pot....
Cover and simmer until all is soft, about 20 min.
Add a splash of lemon juice to brighten it up when done. And some zest if you like. 

4 cups veggie broth
1 large onion chopped finely
2 medium carrots chopped finely
1.5 cups red lentils, rinsed
3 cloves of garlic minced or 1T garlic powder
1T cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Inch of fresh ginger, grated 
1 bay leaf
(You could add some chilli flakes, I like to squirt in Siracha after)

An important spice in Dhal is cumin.I love it`s earthy deep warm flavour.
Tip: I keep my fresh ginger in the freezer, in a baggie, lasts forever. I take it out and grate what I need. No need to peel, it kind of flakes off on to the top of the rasp. 
It was yummy and absolutely brightened up my dull day. Hard to take a good pic of dhal soup but here is my bowl with a generous splat of Siracha hot sauce:) Cha Cha Cha! 

No comments: