Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day....

Here in North America we are celebrating mothers today. Breakfast in bed, flowers, cards, gestures of affection and gratitude. I'm spending my day at the Halifax Seaport Market today. My usual weekend stint. I'm giving a shout out to all who nurture, moms or not!

“Why can’t you see I’m a cat,” said the cat,
“And that’s all I ever will be?
Why are you shocked when I roam out at night?
Why are you sad when I meow and I fight?
Why are you sick when I eat up a rat?
I’m a cat.”

“Why can’t you see I’m a kid,” said the kid.
“Why try to make me like you?
Why are you hurt when I don’t want to cuddle?
Why do you sigh when I splash through a puddle?
Why do you scream when I do what I did?
I’m a kid.”

“Why can’t you see I’m a mom,” said the mom.
“Why try to make me wise?
Why try to teach me the ways of the cat?
Why try to tell me that ‘kids are like that’?
Why try to make me be patient and calm?
I’m a mom.”


- Shel Silverstein


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...I love the picture so much, and love the poem which is just perfect for that picture! What a nice Mother's Day greeting and reminder~ Shel Silverstein was my kids favorite poet and we use to have several of his books! ♥♥♥